Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Best Friends

Good friends can be hard to come by.  Growing up I went to 18 different schools.  I quickly learned to make friends but to never get to close so when I moved it did not hurt to leave them.  In high school I had my first best friend.  Janell and I met in gym class first semester our freshman year.  We had little in common but had an instant connection.  I let my guard down with Janell, I felt safe with her.  We continued our friendship into college.  Our friendship was meant to last a lifetime.  Then one day I got a phone call that would change my life forever; Janell was killed in a drinking and driving accident.  I was devastated.  Losing a best friend is so painful.  At Janell's funeral they read some of her journal entries.  One of her entries was about the Garth Brooks song "The Dance".  She explained how it was more important to love and get hurt than to never love at all.  These words were very helpful as I went through the grieving process and still speak to me today. 

I will always treasure the friendship Janell and I shared. 
After Janell's death I was a little guarded about friendship. I did not want to be hurt again. In the back of my head I always remembered Janell's journal entry. I felt like that entry was her speaking right to me.  
Over 5 years ago I met Kristi. The back story is my husband Eric and her husband Adam grew up together. Once Adam and Kristi were engaged they bought a house in Huntington 2 blocks from our apartment. Adam and Kristi invited us over for a cookout and the rest is history. We hit it off right away. Kristi and I could and would chat for hours. Over time I started to trust Kristi and our friendship was taken to another level. It is so nice to have someone I can always count on and that is always there cheering me along.  No one will ever replace Janell but it is nice to have a best friend again. 
Our little girls were born one year and one day apart.
Friendship is truly a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment