Monday, January 3, 2011

Hello 2011

This year Eric and I spent New Years with his family in Indianapolis.  We were all excited that Ron was able to make the 12 hour trip down to visit with us and disappointed that Mary was not with him.  Mary stayed in the U.P. to enjoy her last New Years before baby Strobel comes.  Eric and Ron enjoyed reminiscing about their youth and the great experiences they had shared as Brothers.  Dan and Nancy were grateful to have both of their boys under one roof. 
This year Eric had a special request for New Year's Day.  He asked me to make pig's knuckles and sauerkraut.  My husband knows that I love to cook for him so I hit the cookbooks.  When the cookbook failed, I turned to my boss Jerri.  Jerri is an avid cook and has helped me solve all my cooking issues thus far.  The hardest thing about this recipe is that I don't eat pig's knuckles or sauerkraut ( but I would not let me being picky stop this cooking adventure). 
German Pork with Sauerkraut

3-4 pounds of pork country style ribs or a little more for knuckles
Browning is optional

Mix the following in a large bowl:
32 ounces of sauerkraut in a bag in the meat section of the grocery, drained
½ head of cabbage, shredded
Large onion thinly sliced
1 or 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced

Mix the following in a small bowl:
2 to 4 tablespoons of caraway seeds --we like lots! Adds a great flavor
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of water

Use a covered casserole or roasting dish. Can be slow cooked in a very large cooker.
Alternate layers of meat and sauerkraut mix
Pour caraway/water mix over all of it.
Cook in 350 degree oven for four hours, covered.
Served great with mashed potatoes.

I forgot to take a picture of finished result....but I think the Strobel's all enjoyed it! Eric asked me to make it a tradition to cook him pig's knuckles and sauerkraut every New Years day!

No comments:

Post a Comment